legalcentrelesvos.org | 19 November 2021|
Legal Centre Lesvos Quarterly Report July – September 2021
(1) LIVING CONDITIONS
- August 2021 – The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) persistently recognises Greek authorities’ disregard for migrants’ health and lives in Lesvos RIC.
- September 2021 – One year after the Moria fires: No lessons learnt and no responsibility taken.
- September 2021 – One year of Moria 2.0: When the temporary becomes permanent.
(2) ASYLUM PROCEDURES
- Legal aid provided by Legal Centre Lesvos between July and September 2021.
- Greece continuously rejects asylum claims of Afghans as inadmissible despite the situation in Afghanistan.
- Discriminatory exclusion from all social rights for migrants rejected on appeal.
- 15 September – Effective termination of UNHCR cash assistance for migrants without any announced plans of replacement.
(3) COLLECTIVE EXPULSIONS AND OTHER HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS
- 14 July – Publication of the report of Frontex Scrutiny Working Group concludes on Frontex’s negligence to address evidence of fundamental rights violations.
- August 2021 – Visit of British Home Secretary, Priti Patel, to Greece to observe the country’s methods to stop the arrival of migrants’ boats.
- September 2021 – Successful relocation of 27-year-old M.M. to Germany after 7 months’ efforts