As Europe faces the migrant crisis and the losses of the lives of those who tried to reach Europe, increasing poverty, terrorist attacks, Brexit and other challenges to the European Union, people all over Europe—and beyond—are seeking new ways to respond creatively to these changes and challenges. “Play, Perform, Learn, Grow: Exploring Creative Community Practice” (PPLG) is being organized to bring together educators and researchers, psychologists and therapists, social workers and out-side-of-school youth workers, medical doctors, artists, social activists and community organizers, - refugees, migrants and locals – and all others who, at this historical crossroads, are seeking new—and often performatory—ways to address the pain, alienation, and violence of our times, re-create their lives, and build new kinds of communities.
PPLG invites proposals that address, among others, the following questions:
- How can community be built across borders (physical, cultural and social)?
- How can play and performance impact individual and community development?
- How can play and performance contribute to intercultural education?
- What is the educational, therapeutic and social value of play?
- How can cultural and national differences be used to create new kinds of relationships?
- What creative opportunities for community and social development can be found in disruption and chaos?
- What is the impact of play in creating new culture?
- What are the relationships between therapeutics, play, performance and community building?
- In what ways can performance, play and the arts engage the politic of otherness and antagonism?
- In what ways can play and performance provide a developmental alternative to authority and the knowing paradigm?
- What are the connections between play, performance and the arts to power and possibility?
Abstract Submission Opens 30th October
Deadline for abstract submission: NEW! 11 February 2018
Notification for abstract acceptance: 15 February 2018
Authors’ / Early Registration deadline: 15 March 2018
Conference timetable announcement: end of March 2018